Monday, November 28, 2011

In Search of the Perfect Star Necklace

My mother has the most perfect star necklace that she inherited from her Aunt Gert a million years ago.  I think it must have hit my radar maybe 15 years ago.  It's gold, small and delicate on the skin, just so lovely.  The chain connects to the pendant on the side points of the star rather than the top.  This was the part of the design that I fell in love with and consequently found so hard to find for many years.  My mom loves and wears this piece a lot and I knew if wanted one I'd have to find my own.  I even considered having a local jeweler recreate it for me at one point.  Then, about 5 years ago a new technique crossed my path called Metal Clay.  It allows you to create designs out of a special clay substance and then you fire your finished piece to create a .999 silver creation!  It's genius for those of us who love metal-smithing but can't afford the investment of all the equipment and space.  This technique fills an amazing void.  I found an instructor and got my certification in Art Clay.  (http://www.artclayworld.com/default.asp)  My first project on my own was to create this star design.  And I did, in silver.  I am really proud of it and even did some other variations as well.

However, I still longed for the gold version.  And last year, thanks to a little known phenomena called "Glee", a company called Ryan Ryan Jewelry (http://www.ryanryanandcompany.com/) made my necklace!  Thanks Lea Michelle or her character "Rachel" anyway.  And this version has a small diamond detail to boot.  I love it and I love it even more since my husband, Casey, got this for me for our five-year wedding anniversary.  Five points, five years, get it?!  Ryan Ryan's creation is below.

No comments:

Post a Comment